Monday 17 June 2013

You cannot move forward if you are always thinking backwards. (Bathsheba Dailey)

“Honey,” she said, “You're not breaking up with your husband. As far as I can tell Christian is the only glimmer of hope in your otherwise desolate life. Forget drug dealing. Forget drugs. Forget all that shit. You know why people are in here? The first time I wound up here I had accidentally lit an entire bar full of people on fire. I had to choose between rehab and jail. I could be in here for the rest of my life and no one would care. I have no reason to be clean. I have no Christian. Honey, you don't even realize what you have. It's not the houses or the planes. You have a husband that loves you. You have a family that loves you. You have a life. Forget your past and all the terrible shit you did. That doesn't have to be your future.”

She was right. Yet when Tommy told me I needed to make one call. That was it. Just one call, one fourteen billion dollar call to a contact in Vietnam, I said, “Sure. But just one call.”

No comments:

Post a Comment