Tuesday 11 June 2013

It's the worst thing to fall in love with someone who will never stop disappointing you. (Emily Giffin, Something Borrowed)

Then he arrived. I didn't notice Christian until he was at the table, looming over us.

“Christian!” I was more startled than excited, like I was caught red-handed.

“Hi,” he said curiously.

I got up and hugged him mechanically under Tommy's critical gaze.

“This is Tommy,” I introduced and Tommy stood. Christian extended his hand and Tommy shook it as he accused, “And you must be the husband.”

Christian smiled and exhaled an almost tangible sense of relief. “I guess that's me.” He tucked his arm around my waist and I kissed his cheek. We were disgustingly in love but we were newlyweds; that’s how it was supposed to be.

“I should be going,” Tommy said.

“You don't have to,” I offered, but I didn't mean it. I only got a touch of time with Christian each week and I didn't want to spoil it with a visit from my past.

Tommy leaned across Christian and kissed my cheek. “It was nice to see you, Honey. We'll talk next week.”

I nodded and he left.  

No comments:

Post a Comment