Sunday 30 June 2013

The end is where we start from. (T.S.Eliot)

Epilogue

Hope spent one hundred days and nights in jail before her lawyer, Courtney Steinbecker, was able to get her removed from California State Correctional Facility permanently. Hope was able to get back to Philadelphia before her Uncle Tony passed on. She spent several weeks at her father's house in Philadelphia in the time leading up to her uncle's passing.

In his final days, Tommy played Let It Be for his brother on a record player in his room. He played the song time and time again. Tommy meant well but Tony once told him that he couldn't wait to get to hell so he didn't have to listen to mother Mary whispering words of wisdom anymore. Tommy continued to play the song.

Hope kissed her uncle’s pale forehead as he lay dead on the bed where Scotch had died. The cool sweat on his still warm forehead transferred to her lips.

“Christian arrived later that night and I know this is strange but I was afraid to kiss him because I wanted to keep that last piece of Uncle Tony with me. I didn’t want to pass him on to Christian. I wanted to hoard that last glimpse of Uncle Tony for myself. I loved that man so much.”

At the funeral Hope delivered the eulogy. There were eight people in attendance: Senior, Tommy, Penny, Rider, Christian, Hope, a pastor and a mortician.

There was a time when I thought it would be okay if I could just see him one more time. One more time is never enough. I'm not going to make a big production of this. It's not what he would have wanted. I just have a couple things I want to say.

Uncle Tony was a great man. He was a great uncle, brother, son, and we all loved him. We will all miss him. I wish he could have lived forever but that's what makes life so precious. We all just get a little plot of time here on earth so we must make the most of it. Love big and live hard. Uncle Tony did that. No one lived as hard as he did and he loved too. He loved Scotch and when he lost her he lost a piece of himself. I wasn't here for her funeral and I wasn't around to support him then, now I wish I had. I wish a lot of things today as we lay him to rest.

I understand that he can't live forever but I wish he could have lived long enough to meet my baby. I didn't even tell him I was pregnant because I didn't want him to think about what he would miss in death. My baby will miss out because he or she will live without a Great-Uncle Tony. I wish it didn’t have to be that way.

Our family lives and dies but this is not the end.

Tony was buried beside Scotch in the family cemetery. Tony's grave, alongside Rick's grave, was visible from Senior's bedroom window. Their ghosts were everywhere.

Hope gave birth to a baby boy the following spring. They named him Jude.

Gloria and Tommy (ex-UCLA Tommy) have now been dating for the past five years.

Lilia started dating the bassist from the New Hope Community Church band. She still works in an office and drives a Honda Civic.

Hope and Christian currently spend their summers in Philadelphia with their four-year old son, Jude, and their one year-old daughter, Grace. The family spends the rest of their time in their house in the Palisades. Hope splits her time between the Palisades and New Hope Ranch.

New Hope Ranch, purchased as a birthday gift and summer getaway, has been transformed into a rehabilitation facility for drug addicts. Hope works at the ranch on a casual basis, alongside a highly trained and qualified staff.

“I feel like I’m finally doing something good with my life,” said Hope, the founder of the Ranch. “I’ve been on the other side and I know how they feel and I know they can be better. I’ve came to peace with my past and they will too.”

She is clean1. No one ever expected her to be clean and even her father, still addicted, is proud of her for cleaning up her act. She is reformed. She is a heroine.

“I have an amazing husband and two precious children. We have a great life.”

“Hope was never wholly good nor was she wholly bad,” said Christian. “No one is. Hope may have embraced a noxious path but it’s brought her here and she’s doing some really great things.”

“Everywhere she flew on the wings of life, she was propelled their by her ambition,” said feminist theorist and author, Audrey Hart.

She holds a notorious place in history. She leads a normal life.


EDITOR’S NOTE: The names, dates, and places have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty.

1 The only thing not accounted for are the drugs confiscated from the luggage of new in-patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment