Sunday 23 June 2013

I'm driving blind. I'll lay it all on the line for you. (Bon Jovi)

When she was gone for a morning massage I made three phone calls.

The first started with 011 84 and it soon came back to haunt me.

The second was to Tommy. It was done and I was out for good. That was what I told him anyway.

The third was to Gloria's mother.

Maybe I should have been suspicious when I got more questions about the logistics of Gloria’s situation from her uninterested mother than I did from Tommy. Neurotic, anxious Tommy didn’t have two questions about our part in the largest heroin deal in world history.

There was a time when I would have questioned how easily fourteen billion dollars came to me and a time when I would have questioned Tommy's motives and demeanor. I was getting old, not in human years, but in drug dealer years. Your lifespan is shorter when you're a drug dealer so you age faster. You grow up fast, you get old fast, and I guess I was just getting lazy in my old age.  

No comments:

Post a Comment