Thursday 6 June 2013

Don't accept that others know you better than yourself. (James Allen)

The next Sunday Lilia came with Christian. Gloria still got no visitors but she did manage to ruin my visit.

“Sorry.”

“For what? Gloria, what did you do?”

“Nothing. I mean the hubby and the new girl – that has to hurt.”

“What?” I laughed. “Lilia? I don't think so.”

“Why not? If you can see pass that nose, she's a pretty girl.”

“She's Lilia. She's mediocre. She works in an office. She drives a Honda. The most fun moments of her life have been occurred in her imagination. She has no ambition. She doesn't take risks.”

“She isn't in here.”

That was true.

“She seemed nice. Maybe he's interested in that sort of girl.”

“Then why did he marry me?”

“He didn't know there were nice sober girls like that out there.” She could see that I was upset. “Honey, I'm just kidding with you. I'm sure he loves you.”

“I could never be her.”

“Who? Lilia?”

I nodded. “Even if that was what he wanted, it could never be me. I could never be ordinary.”

She laughed, “Someone thinks highly of themselves.”

“I'm not saying I'm great, necessarily. All I'm saying is that I could never be content with being so ordinary. Get up, go to work, come home, eat, watch TV, sleep, repeat: repeat for the rest of my existence. No thank you.”

“But Christian seems like a pretty average guy.”

I shrugged like I didn't really care but it got me thinking. I had to get out. Christian was out there with Lilia and a million more girls like her. What if he finally woke and realized that I'm an ambitious, self-centered drug dealer and there are a million girls out there that would be better for him than me? I needed to get out, fast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment