Wednesday 26 June 2013

A friend is someone who understands why you like your strawberry sodas without any strawberries in them. (Charlie Brown)

The next day Gloria walked through the lobby with me as the staff lined the room and clapped and cheered at my dismissal. I smiled so widely my face hurt. I held Gloria's hand tightly and wished I could take her home with me.

She went as far as the open door and caught the smell of freedom on the other side. At the top of the stairs, I kissed Gloria on the cheek and ran down to embrace Christian leaning against his Jeep Renegade. I laughed as he spun me around.

“Of all the cars,” I laughed, “this is the one you take.”

“There's nothing wrong with this old jalopy.”

We drove all the way to the Palisades before the novelty of clean fresh freedom went sour. Police cars surrounded the house and someone yelled: “Freeze!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment