Monday, 1 April 2013

Every time you look at me that way, I melt. (Rascal Flatts)

I melted. I've never melted before. The closest I've come to melting has been of shear heat. It's never been about a boy. He knew my name and I was dumbfounded. I think I even stood there a while with my mouth ajar like a slack-jawed hillbilly. I don't like to admit it but I think I stood there as just watched him climb into his 1971 Jeep Renegade.
I shook it off and got in the backseat of the car with a flushed complexion.
“Do you want to get a bite before we go back to the house?”
“Sure.”
“Where would you like to go?”
“Topanga sounds lovely,” he teased. Not in an Uncle Tony sort of way but in a frightening serious Senior sort of way. I didn't know how to react.
“How about a restaurant by the beach?”
“Sure.”
I reported to the driver and we pulled out of the parking lot. I looked back.
“It's a nice church.”
He smiled ominously.
“I haven't been going all that long but I really like it.”
He nodded like he was keeping a secret.
“I know it's not really your thing...”
“Is it yours?”
Wow, that came out of nowhere.
“I think so,” I nodded. “It is now.”
“Why? It is because of your interest in Christianity or your interest in boys by the same name?”
“What?”
He shrugged.
I was offended.
“What are you saying?”
“It was just a question.”
“Of course it's because of the spiritual aspect. There are men everywhere, why would I have to go to church to meet them?” Though technically Christian was the reason I started attending. “In fact, that was the most I've ever talked to that boy.”
We sat in silence for a couple miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment